Summary: This article will guide on how to install and configure burp suite in Ubuntu.
Burp Suite is a GUI based cybersecurity tool which is used to perform security testing of web applications.
This tool contains a proxy server which let the user to intercept and manipulate the communication between the client and server.
Other than the interception proxy burp suite also contains many other features which are helpful when performing web application penetration testing.
This tool is developed and maintained by PortSwigger Web Security.
There are three editions available in burp suite.
- Community Edition
- Professional Edition
- Enterprise Edition
Community edition is a limited feature edition that you can download and use free of charge. Both professional and enterprise editions need to be purchase after a trial period.
In this article, let’s learn how to install burp suite in Ubuntu machine. There are two ways to install burp in your Linux machine.
- Using the standalone Java executable file (.jar)
- Using the Linux installer (.sh)
Installing Burp Suite Using The Linux Installer
- Download the installer file from the Portswigger website.
- Run the installer using the following command.
- Now, Burp Suite Setup Wizard Will Appear.
- Complete the wizard and you are good to go.
- After completing the setup wizard, search for “Burp Suite” (without quotes) in Ubuntu search. (You can get the Ubuntu search by pressing windows key + S in your keyboard)
Also Read: How To Unlock Pattern Lock In Android Phone
Installing Burp Suite Using The Standalone Java Executable File.
First of all, go ahead and download the .jar file of burp suite from the Portswigger website.
To install burp suite using the java executable file you will need to have Java installed on your Ubuntu machine. Use the following command in your terminal to check whether you have java installed in your system or not.
After you run the above the command your terminal should respond with the java version installed in your Linux machine.
Or else you can try to execute the burp suite java executable file. If you don’t have java installed in your system it will throw an error as shown in the below screenshot.
If you don’t have java installed make sure to install java by entering the following the command in your terminal.
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre
Move the downloaded burp suite java executable file to wherever you want to keep it. (For example, I’m used to keep my optional software and packages in my /opt directory.)
Launch burp suite java executable file using the following command.
java -Xmx2g -jar burpsuite_community_v2020.8.jar
In the above command “-Xmx2g” option is used to allocate 2GB of memory for burp suite. In some platforms, you can execute the burp suite java executable file by directly double clicking on the file. By doing so you won’t be able to customize the maximum memory available for burp suite.
How To Configure Burp Suite For Localhost Application
First, you need to confirm that burp proxy is active and working. To check that open burp and navigate to Proxy > Options and look in the Proxy listeners section.
Under the proxy listener section make sure that the checkbox in the running column is ticked. If your burp suite proxy listener is not running or you get any problems when setting up the proxy, check out the help documentation on Proxy Listeners provided by portswigger.
Now you need to set up your browser to use burp proxy as its HTTP proxy. To do this, you need to change your browser’s proxy settings.
How To Configure Burp Suite With Firefox
- In Firefox, Go to Firefox menu and click on “Preferences” / “Options”
- Select the General Tab and scroll down to the end of general tab. At the end you will see the “Network Proxy” settings. Click on settings button.
- Select the “Manual proxy configuration” option.
- Enter your Burp Proxy listener address and the Burp Proxy listener port in the “HTTP Proxy” field (by default this is set to 127.0.0.1 8080).
- Make sure the “Use this proxy server for all protocols” box is checked.
- Delete anything that appears in the “No proxy for” field.
- Now click “OK” to close all of the options dialogs.
That’s it for this tutorial. Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed and learned something new.